Title says it all, don't it?
Here's some stuff I've run across lately while looking for other things, mostly:
- Michael Dietsch does a very nice field guide to orange liqueurs in all their styles, over at Serious Eats Drinks;
- Not to be outdone with the oranges and the tasting, In the Cupboard has come out with a guide to orange bitters, with useful tasting notes;
- Martin Doudoroff tastes Knob Creek Rye. So many questions here: How does it compare to Jim Beam Rye, current 80-proof Old Overholt or Ri1 (or however the hell you're supposed to write that one?);
- And Chuck Taggart's selflessly comprehensive tasting of the new menu at Big Bar not only discusses the Knob Creek rye a bit more, but makes me want to head to LA;
- Marshall Fawley's writing for AARP now, and gives us a good basic rundown on the Old-Fashioned;
- Eater NY has come out with a list of NYC's most iconic drinks. (Okay, I get "egg cream", but at Eleven Madison Park instead of Gem Spa or Ray's?)
- And Time Out NY names the 50 best bars in New York;
- In case you didn't see Dave Arnold on "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon", here you go;
- The drought is killing corn. Corn is used in bourbon. Bourbon's gonna get more expensive.
- Hey, Andrew Bohrer wrote a book! It's about shots, but good ones;
- and Max Messier is launching Bespoke Vermouths and wrote a book;
- Brad Thomas Parsons, author of Bitters, tells us the six bitters to have on hand this summer;
- and gorsh, I wish I had the night off and the money for this, but this bitters-focused dinner Parsons is hosting at the James Beard House looks amazing;
- I didn't make it to the Spirited Awards at Tales, but I loved the videos introducing each category, made by Le JIT Productions. The "Best American Bartender" video had me in stitches, but check the others too, including "Sh*t Brand Ambassadors Say" and Dale DeGroff giving a young tyro some advice;
- That said, I'm not sure the Swiss-Army-Knife-style Bar10der gadget is worth carrying;
- but the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines might get closer to the dream (dream? really?) of a bartending robot. I'm sure the drinks will be just awesome.